Bridgestone announces expansion of Karawang tyre plant in Indonesia
Tokyo (May 14, 2010) - Bridgestone Corporation announced today that its subsidiary in Indonesia, P.T. Bridgestone Tyre Indonesia, will invest approximately ¥4.3 billion to expand production capacity of both passenger car radial tyres (“PSR”) and light truck radial tyres (“LTR”) at its Karawang Plant. As the result of this expansion project, daily production capacity is projected to increase by 3,000 units to a total of 29,400 units at the Karawang Plant by the first half of 2012.
The Karawang Plant began production in 1999, supplying PSR and LTR tyres to both the domestic market and key overseas markets, including North America and Europe. The Karawang plant is already undergoing an expansion project which was announced in August 2007 to increase its daily production capacity by 8,400 units. That project is scheduled to be completed this year. However, with global demand expected to continue growing, the Bridgestone Group determined that further expansion of the plant is necessary to meet market demands.
As this investment shows, the Bridgestone Group is well positioned to respond to rapidly changing market trends and will continue to build or expand production facilities on a global basis that will produce world-class quality tyres to satisfy worldwide demand.
Key Facts about Bridgestone Corporation’s subsidiary in Indonesia:
1. Company name: P.T. Bridgestone Tyre Indonesia
2. Representative: Hirotaka Migita
3. Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
4. Date of establishment: September 1973
5. Capital: 24.96 million US dollars
6. Equity ownership: 54.3% owned subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation
7. Number of employees: 3,288 (as of December 31, 2009)
Key facts about the Karawang Tyre Plant:
1. Plant location: Karawang, Jawa Barat, Indonesia (70km southeast of Jakarta)
2. Start of production : September 1999
3. Site area: Approximately 367,500 square meters
4. Products: passenger car radial tyres and light truck radial tyres
About Bridgestone Corporation:
Bridgestone Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo, is the world’s largest tyre and rubber company. In addition to tyres for use in a wide variety of applications, it also manufactures a broad range of diversified products, which include industrial rubber and chemical products and sporting goods. Its products are sold in over 150 nations and territories around the world.