Bridgestone to Expand Tyre Production Capacity in Thailand
Tokyo (Sep. 10, 2010)–Bridgestone Corporation today announced that its subsidiary in Thailand, Thai Bridgestone Co., Ltd., will invest approximately ¥21.3 billion to expand its Nong Khae Plant, and increase daily production capacity of passenger car radial tyres (“PSR”) and light truck radial tyres (“LTR”) by 13,500 units to 50,000 units by the end of 2014.
The Nong Khae Plant, the company’s second production plant, began production in 1995, supplying PSR and LTR tyres to both the domestic market and key overseas markets including Asia, North America and Europe. In January 2008, a project was to increase its daily production capacity by approximately 6,000 units. That project is scheduled to be completed by 2011. However, with global demand expected to continue to grow, the Bridgestone Group determined that further expansion of the plant is necessary to meet market demands.
As this investment shows, the Bridgestone Group is well positioned to respond to rapidly changing market trends and will continue to build or expand production facilities on a global basis, as necessary, to produce world-class quality tyres to satisfy worldwide demand.
Key facts about Thai Bridgestone Co., Ltd.:
1. Company name: Thai Bridgestone Co., Ltd.
2. Representative: Masahiro Higashi
3. Location: Bangkok, Thailand
4. Year of establishment: 1967
5. Capital: 400 million baht
6. Equity ownership: 69.2% owned subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation
7. Number of employees: 3,358 (as of June 30, 2010)
Key facts about the Nong Khae Plant:
1. Location: Saraburi Province (80km north of Bangkok)
2. Start of production: 1995
3. Site area: Approximately 660,000 square meters
4. Products: Passenger car radial tyres and light truck radial tyres
About Bridgestone Corporation:
Bridgestone Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo, is the world’s largest tyre and rubber company. In addition to tyres for use in a wide variety of applications, it also manufactures a broad range of diversified products, which include industrial rubber and chemical products and sporting goods. Its products are sold in over 150 nations and territories around the world.